Wednesday, October 28, 2009


Membership Report


The Membership Portfolio for 2009 has come with it’s challenges and it’s rewards. I started the year by speaking with many current, past and non members of the Professional Photographers Association of Canada in Manitoba. It took a good number of weeks and many telephone calls to save some past members from not quitting and deal with some interesting misconceptions that some misguided nonmembers had about the association and what it was that we stood for and wanted to achieve throughout 2009. This task was way less cumbersome than one might imagine. On the contrary, it gave me some much need insight into what it was that our members expected from the board of directors and association as a whole. It was also a fantastic chance to meet some members that I have had little contact with in the past years of my membership. After many a long conversations we did eventually come to a peaceable resolution. In the end I had created a new and updated directory of the membership with as much information as I could gather. I also had a greater insight into the thoughts and ideas of the membership. This process took much of the first two or three months of my time with the membership portfolio. New membership certificates were sent out to all members and were updated with new designations and awards. New applications were received by myself and were addressed in a timely manner. I did my utmost to include new applicants in the life of the association as they were permitted by the board of directors. New certificates and membership packages were sent out to new members and some old who were somehow left out of the loop. We did decide however to do away with the metallic name badges as few members used them and it was felt to be a waste of money.



Print Review Committee

On the outset of my appointment on the board I formed a Print Review Committee for 2009. These fine people included, Inge Skliros, Bruce Heindricks, Fred Elcheshen, Ingrid Misner and Art Wiebe. I must say that it has been a privilege working with all these folks as we reviewed and judged the Print Submissions for 2009. The Committee met once every two months and adhered strictly to the guidelines for judging as set out by the board of directors. Once the judging was complete I would call the applicants and walk them through their submission - whether they were successful or not. This gave them better insight into what they are doing right or what they can improve upon with their next submission. Part of this process was checking in on potential members and observers websites to ensure proper use of language and content. There is one final judging for 2009 which will be held on or before the 25th November this year.



Membership Updates

At this point I am unsure as to exactly how many members did not renew their membership in 2009. I can say that we have had 32 new contacts or applications come through the office and have had another 11 new members join up, of which three have already achieved RPP Status within the association. These new numbers bring our membership up to 66 for 2009. The Membership Directory is completely up to date and as accurate as I have information for 2009. A complete directory has been made available for all member via our web site. There are three observers who have not completed their Print Review Submissions in the two years allotted to them and have therefore been halted in their efforts to achieve RPP status for another year, after which they can reapply for Registered status.



Personal Notes...

As this is my final year as membership chair I would like to offer my experience and knowledge in passing on the information and resources for the portfolio to whomever the board should choose to take over from me. I would more than willing to take the time to share the ropes with the “new guy”



Summary

One of the things that we need to be considering is the supply of resources for the 2010 year. As an example we have run out of the membership binders that we issue to new members for the Directory. They are pretty expensive to replicate and I think that we can explore other alternatives to the traditional binders. This however could entirely become the responsibility of PPOC Canada depending on how the restructuring goes through. Once that has been decided we need to have a look at what is left and how we can most efficiently purchase new supplies.



Sincerely yours,

Desmond Snyman

Membership Chair. PPOC-MB